Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Tuesday, November 27, 2012


Thanks so much for the letters!  I got the one from the family, one from Johnny boy and the gang, one from my favorite Shayla, and a wedding invitation from Julia.  Each letter you get is 50 pushups-my pecs are a little sore :P
It was so awesome to hear from everyone.  Sara's testimony in Spanish was awesome!  It is quazi mesmo a Portugues.  I showed the poem that Dad sent to my companions, and they thought it was really awesome.  In short, everyone in my district stole my letter to copy the poem.  Anyway you could put it on the blog?  I stinking love it!  I'll try to print a couple of pictures to send when I get a chance to write back.  I've had no time at all lately!
The temple was amazing today.  I went in with my patriarchal blessing and a couple of questions I was wondering about.  The feeling was surreal.  If I could put it in words, I would, but neither Portugues or English have anything that can come close.  All I can say is what I tell our pesquisadors "um fogo em meu coracao"  but the rest is just indescribable.  I'm so glad I have the chance to go each week while I'm here.
We just said goodbye to a couple of Brasilleros that we've grown really close to these past 3 weeks.  They are like brothers to me.  I was giving one of them private English lessons each night, and last night as he was packing his bags, he came up to me with a sheet of paper with a few lines written on it.  He started to read in perfect English a prayer that he had written.  Not the most elaborate or intricate, but one that came from him.  As he read it, his voice was shaky.  I asked him what was wrong.  He just hugged me for a second and then told me that he was because he was so glad-  he can talk to his Father in Heaven in two languages now.  I was sad to see him go.
Well, it happened again.  I really didn't think that I talked in my sleep that much.  I guess there is just so much going on in my head that I can't express it all while I'm conscious.  Elder Palmer told me that he was laying awake in his bed and at 5:17 AM he heard a thud (I figured out later that my alarm clock fell on me) and then me yelling, "AHHHHH!!! Desculpa!! (I'm sorry)" and then some other random Portuguese words...so yah.  I'm hoping that doesn't happen again.  I'm starting to freak myself out.  
I've got a few really cool/ funny things to share, but I'll save those for actual letters.  
Thanks for all of your support and prayers, I can feel them each day.  The hand of the Lord has really become apparent these past few weeks.  I hope that all is happening for the best and that you all have a stinking awesome week.
Eu sei que ista igreja é a melhor coisa que aconteseu em meu vida.  Eu vou ser muito grato por isso Evangelho para sempre.  Eu sei que nós temos um profeta que vai guiar nos em um caminho então nós podemos voltar a Pai Celestial.  O Livro de Mormon é a palavra de Deus revelado por meio profetas por nos em isso tempo.  Eu amo isso Evangelho e eu estou aprendendo muitas coisas cada dia então eu posso viver com meu Pai Celestial e meu familia novamente.  Eu amo voces, e eu espero que voces entendem que eu estou grato por voces.
Até mais,
Elder Stinnett


Reflections

As I sit looking through the window, a tear still in my eye
I see the family and friends I love as we say our last goodbye.
The ride is long and tiring as two questions plague my mind,
"Do I want the life that lies ahead or the one I left behind?"

Twenty-four months is such a long time for going door to door,
In my reflections I thought to myself, "There really must be more."
I climb down from the airplane and looked longingly at the beach,
But a man turned me the other way and said, "Elder, go find and teach."

I sit reflecting once again as this day is my last;
I say, "Lord, this just isn't fair; twenty-four months goes much to fast."
As I sit looking through the window, a tear still in my eye,
I see the Elders and friends I love as we say our last goodbye.
The ride is long and tiring as two questions plague my mind,
"Do I want the life that lies ahead or the one I left behind?"


No comments:

Post a Comment