Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Monday, February 25, 2013


A new mission is opening up!!!  the mission Rio de Janeiro will divide and a new mission named Juiz de Fora will start.  We had gotten a call from our ZL's the night before and we were told we needed to be seated in the chapel 7hrs in Campo Grande for an emergency meeting with the president.  We all thought that we were going to get burned for our results.  Instead, Presidente Lima brought glad tidings of great joy!  Anywhoot, I think it went out on Church News, and the new mission will start the first of July I think.  No one knows who will go and who will stay, but man it is pretty exciting.

So, the 23rd was Elder Lima's birthday.  Our LMA (ward mission leader)  took us to a churrascaria (super fancy BBQ place)  I had no clue what the heck was happening, but I sat down in the chair, and all of a sudden there were waiters dressed up all fancy with these giant metal skewers with giant chunks of meat that they cut pieces off for me.  They just kept coming and coming, faster than I could eat.  I was in heaven!  For the most part, I have no idea what I ate, but it was all juicy goodness so I just ate.  I know for a fact there was beef, pork, chicken, shrimp, lamb, and chicken hearts.  When they brought the lamb, initially I refused.  I felt a bit guilty because it's so innocent and fluffy, but then the LMA told me that probably never again will I eat this again.  So, he called the waiter back and commanded him to put it on my plate.  It was super good!  Like a mix between pork and beef that's super tender.  Also, before I realized what they were, I accepted chicken hearts (I thought they were little sausages or something)  I looked at it for a second, and realized what it was.  I figured what the heck and popped one in my mouth.  Wouldn't you know, it's not half bad.  It's not half good either, but not half bad :D  

Other than that, we met this new family.  They have a dad, mom, a daughter our age, and a little boy.  It started off just talking with the Dad because he was curious about the Book of Mormon.  He let us inside, and we started teaching.  Then the wife came in, the little boy, and when the girl got home from work she joined us too.  The lesson went great and afterwards, they gave us some pizza and started asking us questions about our lives. (Why are you here?  Is it your choice?  Do you have a girlfriend?)  It was all good.  Then it started getting a little weird.  They started telling me how I need to find a girl here in Brasil to take back to the US with me (frequently glancing at their daughter).  I told her that that's not why we are here, and that we need to dedicate all of our time and efforts to the Lord.  Then the mom said that I needed to return afterwards to marry one and take her home.  The Dad butted in and said "Yes!  You have good priorities. "  then turning to the daughter "These young men know where their priorities are.  They are serving here solely out of the love of their God.  Look at them. (pointing to us)  Handsome, young, fit, and with the love of God in their hearts.  You need to marry someone like that.  This one (pointing to E. Lima)  already has a fiance, but this one (pointing to me)  is single."  That was when I said, "Oh, it's getting late.  We've got to head out."  I wasn't going to wait around for them to grab a preacher to marry us.  

Well, this is more or less my week.

Espero que vocês vão ter um otimo semana e esforçar ser mais perto de nosso Pai Celestial cada dia.  Amo vocês.  
Abraço forte,
Elder Stinnett


No comments:

Post a Comment