Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Monday, February 11, 2013


So this week has been interesting... and a bit frustrating with Carnaval happening and all.  Nobody seems to want to talk about Christ when there are parties on every corner with men running around dressed in womens clothing haha.  Also, there are people with giant puffy, colorful suits on that run around smacking people with these balloon things made of plastic. (you will have to search for pictures to get the jist.  I think it is called bate ball.)  My companion disse que ele pode sentir a cheira da apostasia na ar. hahaha He is a pretty funny guy, but most of the time it is unintentional because of some of the insane things he does.  He was trying to open a can earlier this week after we were supposed to be in bed, and all of a sudden the light flicks on in the room and he is shaking me to wake me up. *Elder!  Do you have a bandaid for me??*  His finger was sliced open and dripping blood, but I was so out of it that I got the bandaid for him and fell back asleep...until I heard screaming.  I guess he tried to use cologne to sterilize his cut.  Wasnt his best idea hahaha.  

So esta Terça fomos pra casa das Sisteres para ajudar elas com a transferencia.  To get there on time, we had to wake up at 430.  For the first time in the mission I felt super sick, but hey, they cant carry their bags for themselves, so vamos la!  The van drivers here are crazy because they cant get pulled over, so by the time we got to the area of the Sisters, I was super shaken up.  We walked abit, and when we got outside their gate, I totally threw up in the grass hahaha.  After that, I was fine we helped them get their bags to the bus and returned to our house.   Im just grateful for how you are blessed as a missionary to be able to heal that fast and get back to work. 

Aside from the normal snakes, I had an experience that made me gross out a bit.  We were walking from a members house to Campo Grande for a District Meeting.  Elder Lima and I were walking and talking and we passed this woman who was strangely tall and had a strangely manly face.  As we passed, a deep voice said *oh, um brancinho, que delicia!*  When all the information got processed in my mind that a tranny was hitting on me, I almost barfed.  You bet your buns we got out of dodge super quick.  My companion still hasnt let me live that one down.

Anyways, with all of these stories there has got to be atleast one spiritual one right?  So yesterday we were knocking doors and noone was answering or wanting to hear anything about the gospel.  Não sei se é por causa de Carnaval ou que, mais foi muito frustrante.  After a couple of hours, we finally had a group of four accept.  We entered their house, started talking, and eventually the discussion made its way to the Restoration.  When we finished, I felt that we should sing a hymn.  We pulled out our mini hymnbooks and started to sing Mais Perto Quero Estar (Nearer my God to Thee)  As we sang, my voice was so beautiful that one of the teenaged guys (Vinicio) in there started to cry.  When the hymn ended, we asked hymn what he felt.  He told us that that was the same hymn that his dad sang to him when he was a child before he died.  From that, we were able to bear testimony of Gods plan for us.  The Spirit was really strong in those moments.  I dont know if he will accept the gospel and be baptized or if he will even read the Book of Mormon, but I know that in that day, a good seed was planted in his heart and that, if given the chance, it will grow into something great and wonderful.

Well this has been my life for the past week. Love you all, fique firmes porque este realmente é a igreja de Cristo.  Eu sei isso.  Até proxima,

Abraço forte,

Elder Stinnett

PS  I know it was the spirit that made Vinicio cry, but I cant help but think that my beautiful voice had something to do with it :P

No comments:

Post a Comment