Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Monday, December 9, 2013

Hey Everyone!

Wow, Ollie is a little cutie.  I had a feeling that he was going to be born this week!  That is great that everything went well, and Bethany looks like she is great.  I am super jealous that you guys are getting to spend some time with Grandma.  That should be really fun.  So, from now on, I would like to be addressed as Elder Uncle Taylor Clark Stinnett!  hahaha It´s got a nice ring to it. 

This week was very special.  We had the baptisms of Vani and her two sons Hugo and Davi.  (no pics right now.  this lan house is super shifty and I dont want to risk anything) We are working with Paulo (the dad).  He is very shy and didnt feel ready at the moment.  We planned everything out really well.  The families that helped us integrate Paulo and Vani into the ward had parts in the baptismal service.  Elder Sea has a problem with his lung, so he couldnt baptize, but was a witness, I baptized Hugo and Davi, and Marcello (member) baptized Vani.  It was very powerful as the spirit bore witness.  However, when we all got into the bathroom to change out of our wet clothes, Hugo and Davi started laughing really hard-  Marcello had split the bum of his pants wide open when he squated to baptize Vani hahahahah.  He had put on a bit of weight since the last time he used those pants, but it´s ok because Vani didnt even notice haha. 
Bento Ribeiro (in our zone) also baptized this week- the grandson of a member that has been less active for a long time.  I had the opportunity to go and interview him.  Passed with flying colors.  Elder Krepsz had warned me that the grandma was a little weird and had been talking about how she doesnt want to live anymore- her husband had passed away less than a year ago.  When we got there, she told us she had just gotten back from the hospital where she had her stomach pumped.  She had taken 92 relaxing pills the day before, felt her heart slowing down, freaked out, and decided to get help.  I was just thinking, how in the world can you do that when you take care of 5 grandkids?  We were able  to talk to her and explain about the great responsibility she has to take care of these kids.  Then Elder Krepsz made her promise on the spot never to try to commit suicide again.  She agreed.  I hope she keeps that promise. 

I was talking to one of the members of my zone, Elder Siebers.  He is finishing his first transfer here.  He had served previously in Gilbert, AZ before his vista came.  He was explaining how it is Waayyy different here.  He said that there is success to be had, but it all depends on having the right attitude.  Im glad to be here in Rio, with a President that is always breathing down your back to have results.  I think right now, I am the most tired that I have ever been on the mission, but at the same time, I am the happiest.  I have unnumerable preoccupations (is that a word?) , but the success of the members of my zone is giving me fuel.  Ive got to head, but Ill see you next week.

Love ,

Elder Stinnett

No comments:

Post a Comment