Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Monday, October 28, 2013


This week had some great spiritual experiences and some real laughs.

This last PDay, we were relaxing a bit- Elder Ribeiro was washing some clothes, I had just finished Jesus the Christ (If you havent read it yet, stop everything and go read it right now) and I was looking at our plans for the rest of our day.  Behind me I heard a banging coming from the washing machine, a grunt of pain, and then a worried voice *Elder...Elder..ELDER!!!*  I got up and went to go look.  There was my comp with a pile of clothes in his hand.  He put the clothes in my outstretched arms and as he took his hand away a few chunks of skin fell off of his twisted finger.  He had put his hand in the spinning washer (it doesnt have a lid), got his hand stuck and almost broke his arm.  I looked at him as he stuck his sprained fingers in his mouth and couldnt help but laugh hahahaha.  A few minutes later after he put ice on it and the swelling went down, he looked at me and told me *You know it is really not funny*  haha  I guess that is what you get when you send an 18 yr out to the field who has never done his own laundry before.  

This week I got a letter from the Bart family-  it was super great!  Thanks for the thoughts guys!

Saturday night we went over to a family home evening to teach a pesquisadora Perla.  The lesson went great and she is way excited to read the Book of Mormon to see if it is true.  As is custom, at the end of the family home evening, you have a snack.  This time it was hotdogs.  I dont know why, but with each one I ate, I got more and more hungry.  I ate 7.  I got home and after planning we went to bed.  I woke up with a super bad stomach pain-  with my body wanting to expulse those hot dogs in any way it could.  I was feeling super sick and weak.  I said a silent prayer that I could have the health and strength to go to church and help out the ward and the investigators.  We got ready and walked to the chapel.  I sat down in the bishops office for our meeting and the pain and nausea went away.  We had various pesquisadores that went to church and all had great experiences.  The primary program went over with out a hitch and I was so happy to see the ward becoming more unified.  As soon as 3rd hour was up, I stood up, went downstairs, and saw all of the people leave, and then all of the energy left my body, the color drained from my face, and I became weak. My prayer had been answered.  I was given a strength that was not my own, so that I could help others have a good experience at church.  God has that power.  When you ask strength, with the intention to do good, He will sustain you.  I am a witness of this.  What a humbling experience!  

I hope all of you are well and continue each day to search for strength in the scriptures and in prayer.  If we rely on ourselves, we can achieve a good deal, but as we rely on the arm of God, He uses us to fulfill His purposes which is something a lot greater.  

Love you all!


Elder Stinnett

No comments:

Post a Comment